Thursday, October 15, 2009

Granola and Alton Brown, two of my greatest (current) loves.

I'm not really clear about the copyright laws involving recipes. Can you post a recipe to which you've made minor (I mean VERY minor...so minor they may not even be noticeable to the original recipe creator) changes? I have fallen in hardcore-teenage-first-love-of-your-life love with this granola recipe. I want to share it even though it's *technically* not mine. I have to make a confession though. I, much like one of my favorite food bloggers, http://foodblogga.blogspot.com, have an unrequited love for not only the food but the man behind the food...Alton Brown. Anybody who knows my husband and Alton Brown knows that this isn't exactly a huge jump for me. They're both uber geeks that are near-experts in their field. I'm going to go ahead and do this...post this recipe. As far as I'm concerned, what's the worst thing that could happen? I get an email from Alton Brown telling me that I need to remove his granola recipe? You bet I can handle that! So here's my first recipe share...try it, you'll like it!

  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup slivered almonds
  • 1 cup crushed walnuts
  • 3/4 cup shredded sweet coconut
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup raisins

Directions

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut, and brown sugar.

In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, oil, and salt. Combine both mixtures and pour onto 2 sheet pans. Cook for 2 hours, stirring every 20 minutes to achieve an even color.

Remove from oven and transfer into a large bowl. Add raisins and mix until evenly distributed.

1 comment:

  1. I LOOOOVVVEEEE good eats!!!! I've been watching religiously for a while.

    I just made some random granola stuff the other week for Zach... I added a whole bunch of odd things that sounded like they'd taste good. It did taste good, but got too hard.

    I shall try yours (I also adore food blogga!)

    ReplyDelete